Lead is a toxic metal for the nervous system. It is found in nature, but also in glazed clay utensils, lead-based paints and varnishes, tobacco smoke, cans and pipes For water with lead solder. It is one of the most used components in the recycling of bacteria, the repair of radiators, refineries, smelters and the manufacture of fuels, paints and varnishes.
People who work with this metal are very exposed to poisoning either by inhalation or skin. Lead poisoning affects practically all organs, but mainly the central nervous system, the peripheral nervous system, the kidneys and the blood, producing lead poisoning, a disease whose systems are: colic, paralysis of the extremities and anemia.
Children living in areas contaminated with lead show extremely high concentrations of this metal in the blood, which results in loss of appetite, abdominal pain, headache, constipation, excessive sleep, decreased physical activity, agitation and Amenia. Poor nutrition and protein, iron, calcium and zinc deficiencies favor the absorption of lead, most of which is stored in the bones.
During pregnancy, the fetus can be affected by the mother’s blood lead levels, because the metal crosses the placental barrier. This inhibits their growth before and after birth, and affects intellectual development and auditory acuity.
Symptoms due to intoxication with arsenates, phenolated, fluorinated and polysulphide derivatives.
Shock and eat.
What do we do?
1. We must not induce vomiting if we do not know the substance that caused the poisoning or if it is suspected that it was produced by corrosive substances. Nor should we make the intoxicated person vomit if he develops seizures.
2. In the event that the substance is not corrosive, we cause vomiting by placing two fingers in the throat or by supplying hot water with salt or oil.
3.If the substance is bleach or ammonia we supply a spoonful of lemon or vinegar in water for vomiting and, after doing so, a glass of milk or 4 tablespoons of raw egg. If the poisoning caused by acid, we give two teaspoons of calcium bicarbonate in a glass of water.
In the case of volatile substances such as kerosene or naphtha, we provide 4 or 5 glasses of water.
Symptoms due to poisoning with insecticides, rodenticides, pesticides and herbicides:
Nausea and vomiting.
What do we do?
1. If the poisoning occurred through the skin, wash it with plenty of water and soap.
2. If the person stops breathing, we apply mouth-to-mouth breathing.
3. If you ingested or inhaled any of these products, provided the universal antidote, which is prepared with burnt bread, a little milk of magnesia and a whipped egg white all dissolved in water.
4. We urgently call the doctor or consult a specialized center by telephone.
Intoxication by inhalation of gases.
Most gases, due to their volatility and ability to expand, are very dangerous for human life. The factories that employ them must be far away from the urban conglomerates, since poor management or technical failure can cause a leak with consequences even for workers and for the nearby population.
During a fire, the carbon monoxide that results from the combustion of different matter causes suffocation. At home, we must be attentive to the correct operation of gas appliances to avoid accidents.
Headache and nausea.
The skin becomes red and rashes appear.
The skin turns blue (cyanosis).
Poisoning by ether, chloroform, sulfur dioxide or chlorine causes irritation of the skin of the mucosa and eyes. Disorders in sight, hearing and speech occur, the person feels weak and lethargic.
Seizures and convulsive cough appear.
Carbon monoxide produces suffocation.
Hydrogen cyanide causes suffocation of tissues, causing death.
Gases such as iperite, phosgene, trilones and arsines produce alterations in the nervous system. They can reach the coma state.
What do we do?
1.Alejarnos the affected person from the place where the accident occurred, taking all the guards to avoid inhaling the gases (using masks or masks, or simply trying not to take air during the rescue).
2. We take the person to a place with oxygen.
3. Call a health center and we advance that it is a gas poisoning, to bring oxygen.
4. We practice mouth-to-mouth breathing in case you have to wait for the doctor and the person has suffered a respiratory arrest.